ASBESTOS AWARENESS COURSE
Asbestos Awareness Course is designed to help you or your employees understand the risks associated with working with asbestos in order to avoid dangerous practices which may disturb asbestos or cause ill health. This course provides a comprehensive introduction and knowledge about safe working practices and the dangers associated with asbestos at work. It helps individuals and their employers to comply with the current legislation and safety standards.
Asbestos is one of the most dangerous building material ever used. Therefore, The Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012 apply to employers, employees, self-employed individuals, require every employer to ensure that adequate information, instruction and training is given to employees who are liable to be exposed to asbestos. This Asbestos Awareness Course ensures that workers have sufficient knowledge about an awareness of the correct health and safety procedures within the workplace.
✔︎ Visually engaging, tutor-led course
✔︎ Approximate duration 1.5 – 2 hours
✔︎ E-learning course – learn at your own pace, save on cost and cut on travel time
✔︎ Multiple re-assessment opportunities with no additional charge
✔︎ Approved course by RoSPA and IATP
✔︎ Immediate access to a nationally recognised and approved certificate upon completion
We are confident in the high quality of our tutor-led interactive courses. Therefore, you are welcome to complete the first module of this course for free. Please, register your interest with immediate access to all our course demos.
This course contains four interactive modules and includes a brief assessment at the end of each module. These include:
Module 1: Properties and Risks of Asbestos Exposure
- What is asbestos?- course overview; who uses asbestos; how asbestos used; asbestos risks to health; history of asbestos.
- The Properties of Asbestos- asbestos definition and what it is made of; 5 main characteristics of asbestos.
- Health Risks- the popularity of asbestos and exposure (health risks); damage asbestos causes to the human body.
- Asbestos-Related Illnesses – Mesothelioma development, dangers and statistics; Asbestosis development, symptoms, dangers and statistics; other lung conditions.
- Statistics- statistics of Mesothelioma and Asbestosis; how smoking affects mortality rate; risk factors.
Module 2: Avoiding the Risks from Asbestos
- Different Types of Asbestos- three types of asbestos: chrysotile, amosite and crocidolite (their use and substance).
- Where You Might Find Asbestos- who are at the main risk of exposure to asbestos; where asbestos can be found; common places of asbestos in a building.
Module 3: Different Types of Asbestos
- Avoiding the Risks from Asbestos- risks of asbestos and routes it may enter a human body; disturbance of asbestos and associated dangers.
- Managing the Risk- responsibilities of the employer/ duty holder/ owner to maintaining asbestos managing plan; legal rights and obligations of an employee and employer; PPE; labelling of asbestos; asbestos management plan and what it includes; two types of asbestos surveys; how surveys are conducted and what is included; how to approach ‘unchecked’ areas for asbestos; what to do if there is no asbestos management plan available.
- What to do if Asbestos is Discovered- steps to take if asbestos is discovered during work duties; steps to take if asbestos found on clothing or PPE.
Module 4: An Outline of Asbestos Legislation
- An Outline of Asbestos Legislation- Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012; regulation 4.
- C-A-R – regulations 5, 6 and 10.
- Categories of Asbestos-Related Work- categories of asbestos work and what they involve; additional regulations that apply to asbestos work.
Please note that any workers who plan to carry out work which involves disturbance of asbestos require a higher level of training. This course covers an Awareness of Asbestos and does not allow you to work with asbestos-containing materials.
Are you an architect or a designer? See our Asbestos Awareness Course for Architects and Designers.
WHO IS THIS COURSE FOR?
This course is for any worker who is likely to disturb asbestos-containing materials or who may be exposed to asbestos as part of their work. Professions include, but is not limited to:
- Roofing contractors
- Heating and ventilation engineers
- Demolition workers
- Cable layers and electricians
- Carpenters, joiners and construction workers
- Painters, decorators and plasterers
- Fire and burglar alarm installers
Upon completion of this course learners will be able to:
- Understand the dangers associated with asbestos-containing materials
- Understand the ill health effects that asbestos causes
- Recognise the measures needed to reduce or eliminate the risks from asbestos
- Know employee and employer legal responsibilities and current legislation
- Understand how to carry out a risk assessment in order to reduce risks within the workplace
The online assessment is carried out on completion of each module. You are given the chance to review all your answers at the end of each module before final submission. If you don’t pass, don’t worry! You can re-take each test up to 6 times with no extra charge.
Do you have a question about this course?
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Students 4309
- Assessments Yes